Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (2012)


The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Charles Dickens last (incomplete) novel.  A novel of love and murder.  a love triangle between Edwin, Rosa and his Uncle John Jasper.  It reminded me of Wuthering Heights as I felt Rosa loved Edwin and was the safe reasonable choice but she was in love with Jasper, the bad boy.  After much fluctuation of the triangle Edwin ends up dead, but Dickens died before revealing the killer.  

Laura Linney, the host of Masterpiece theater introduced The Mystery of Edwin Drood had been completed in the way they thought Dickens would have wanted.  Well sure, he's dead, you can say whatever you want without being contradicted.  I went in with a bad taste in my mouth.  I later ate my words, I hope this is the way Dickens would have wanted it because I could not turn my eyes away.  Every character good or evil were creepy and all could have had motives for offing Edwin.  This film was terrifying, in the sense that all the character were mental.  Jasper was just insane and had hallucinations throughout, Edwin and Ceylonese Neville undergo a fight on race.  Meanwhile, Rosa is confused on what she wants with Neville's sister Helena only trying to help.  

I have not read the book so have nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was fabulous with a mega twist, to Edwin's murder.  The lightening was dark  adding to its eeriness and I felt such a liking towards the good natured Mr. Drood that I was chomping at the bit for there to be justice.  And with that in mind this adaptation was very fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"It's important right now that we talk, killer to killer."

Unlike Addison DeWitt I would not like to talk killer to killer but rather as movie lover to movie lover. What do you think?

Movie Review: Begin Again (2013)

Begin Again was a cheesy imitation of Coyote Ugly which was an ugly picture to begin with.  The film stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo a...