Friday, May 30, 2014

Les Miserables (2013)


I saw Les Miserables with my parents and watching my dad's reaction was almost as entertaining.  The entire movie was sung, I was not expecting that, but being the musical/Broadway geek I am rather enjoyed it, finding it very opreaesque.  My father on the other hand... after the introduction of Jean Valjean and Javert leaned over to my mom and asked if the entire film would be sung, responding with a shoulder shrug.  After a respectful mourning period for Fantine began singing what he'd like for dinner to the tune of "I Dreamed A Dream" (it was eggplant Parmesan in case you were wondering).  Twenty minutes later he was checking his email, and then began comparing Hugh Jackman's hair-do to that of Michael Landon's in Little House on the Prairie. (although what would you expect from someone who pronounced it Less Miz?)

But what did I think of the movie?  I really enjoyed it.  I thought the costumes and setting were phenomenal with Anne Hathaway's rendition of I Dreamed A Dream being a showstopper and one of the highlights of the film for me.  That having been said, (and I had a premonition of this before entering the theater)  the second half felt rushed; it would seem almost impossible to squeeze a 1,000+ page novel into 2 hours and 45 minute movie.  Upon leaving the film both my mom and I (my dad made his feels pretty clear) decided that it was a good movie, but didn't think it would transfer well on the small screen as the production was so massive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"It's important right now that we talk, killer to killer."

Unlike Addison DeWitt I would not like to talk killer to killer but rather as movie lover to movie lover. What do you think?

Movie Review: Begin Again (2013)

Begin Again was a cheesy imitation of Coyote Ugly which was an ugly picture to begin with.  The film stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo a...